Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Today's Pet Peeve

My guess is, that at some time or another while surfing the vast interwebs, you may have stumbled upon the quote to the right. ------->
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
This quote is apparently remarkably inspiring to many, but it just makes me feel indignant.

The question I would pose is, "Really? Is being strong ever the only choice you have?" Because I'm pretty sure that, sometimes, an equally appealing option is to instead fall apart into a sniveling mess curled up in a ball on the floor.

In my experience, whether or not you are strong is a choice. The times that I look back on with pride in myself for being "strong" are the times when I chose to be strong. As someone who has struggled with anxiety and depression, the reality of this choice has been pivotal. Without it, I would be completely disempowered. But with it, my life can be anything I dream of, including a space that is not ruled by fear or other negative emotions.

So, I take full responsibility for my strength. There have been times when I should have been strong, but languished in despair, angst, and hopelessness instead. And then there have been the glorious times when I rose above it, taking my life into my own two hands. Those are choices I'm proud of.


And my ranting is now done, and I hope everyone is having a lovely first week of 2013! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...