Friday, December 14, 2012

Planning for a Merry Yule


   This year is my first year of seriously observing and celebrating the sabbats, so I've been thinking about what I'll be doing for Yule. I faced the challenge of trying to make sure I have time to celebrate the solstice, while also making time for being with my family around the Christmas holiday, a challenge I'm sure that many of you share. I think my solstice will include an outdoor walk, indoor divination, ritual, and reflection on Solstice night, and being up to greet the sun in the morning. The sabbats have become meaningful times of quiet reflection, times of drawing meaning from myth and from the cycles of nature, and I have come to look forward to each upcoming festival.

   When planning my sabbats, I tend to gather up ideas from all sorts of places and use what seems best for me. As I searched the internet for Yule ideas I was a bit surprised to find that there seemed to be a distinct lack of them. I think this may have been partly because I kept searching "Yule." Searching "winter solstice" seems to get much better results. Anyway, I thought I'd share a few links that might be useful in planning your solstice festivities.


For Reflection

One pagan's thoughts on Yule - Inspiring and well-said



Yule Ideas

Yule Celebration Ideas: A Vlog by YouTube's AutumnStarMoon 

A few spells just for Yule, including a cleaning ritual and prosperity candles


If guided meditations are your thing, you might enjoy this Yule Meditation


Music


If you've never heard The Christians and the Pagans by Dar Williams, I advise you to head over and check it out! I love it!

I've also come to enjoy two solstice-themed songs by Dahm the Bard:  Antlered Crown and Standing Stone and Noon of the Solstice.



Will you be celebrating the solstice this year? What are your plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...